If everything’s all in your head, then to make the magic in the world you want, you need to get your head straight. This is a huge issue, involving understanding your subconscious desires, your deepest fears, and your shadow.
Below are five mantras designed to help with certain areas where you’d like to make progress. If some of these mantras bring up resistance, they might be pointing to an area where shadow work may be helpful.
1) I forgive others, and I forgive myself. Why: The resentful witch is the witch who’s unconsciously casting negative energy towards others and undermining herself. Forgive.
2) Lovingkindness to me. Peace be to me. Joy and happiness be to me. Lovingkindness to [name of someone you love]. Peace to [same name]. Joy and happiness to [same name]. Lovingkindness to [someone you feel neutral toward]. Peace to [same person]. Joy and happiness to [same person]. Lovingkindness to [someone who really annoys you]. Peace to [same person]. Joy and happiness to [same person]. Lovingkindness to me. Peace be to me. Joy and happiness be to me. Why: Same reason as #1. This mantra works best if you can visualize the people you’re thinking of as utterly, over-the-moon happy.
3) I honor my spirit and trust my intuition. Why: Listening to that little voice is a key witchy skill, and one that’s too easy to ignore.
4) It is always now. Why: Being present is another one of those little-talked-about spellcasting skills. Boost this mantra by actually being present. Pay attention to the weight of your body in the chair, the feel of your breath moving in and out.
5) I am whole. I am magick. I am capable of joy and change. Why: Too often, shame (defined here as a feeling of unworthiness, badness, and general not-good-enoughness, and not to be confused with guilt) holds us back from our magick. If you don’t know that these are feelings that everyone has, and they’re nonsense, you’ll never have any control over your magick.
About the Author
Kirsten Weiss writes genre-blending steampunk suspense, urban fantasy, and mystery, mixing her experiences and imagination to create a vivid world of magic and mayhem.