In honor of pumpkin spice season, I tried a twist on my standard scone recipe, adding Craisins and substituted Trader Joe's Pumpkin Spice Almond Beverage for milk. And the scones turned out really good! The pumpkin flavor was mild, but in a good way. I considered adding 1/2 tsp of pumpkin spice, but I wasn't sure what was in it and have developed an allergy to nutmeg.
I know. Weird.
3 3/4 C flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 C sugar
3 T baking powder
1 t cinnamon
8 T cold, unsalted butter
1 1/4 C Trader Joe's Pumpkin Spice Almond Beverage
1 1/2 C Craisins
Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees F.
1) Mix dry ingredients (except for Craisins).
2) Using your hands crumble the butter, working it into the flour until coarse and sandy (this is going to get messy).
3) Add Pumpkin Spice Beverage and stir until combined.
4) Add Craisins and stir until combined.
5) Knead dough in bowl.
6) Roll out on a floured surface to 1" thick and shape into a square.
7) Using a pizza cutter (or sharp knife), cut into 2x2" squares.
(This image is of the dough halved, which is why I only got 9 scones out of it).
8) Separate and transfer to ungreased cookie sheet. Bake until light golden brown, approximately 15 minutes.
Readers may see this recipe again in my upcoming Tea and Tarot series, but since I haven't even sent the first book to my agent yet, I'm guessing that won't come out until 2019.